Spring Cleanup Time!
This is such an unpredictable month with snow and ice to nice, warm sunny weather. But, there is a lot you can do to get ready for spring now! And with nice weather right around the corner, now is the time to tackle some small projects!
Clean up those flower beds
- Cut back your summer perennials before they start to bud to prepare for new growth. Prune them to about 4-5” in height and 2-3” in height for grasses. But wait on those spring bloomers until after they flower.
- Remove annuals if you never got around to it last fall.
- Look at your beds and see if it’s time to thin out some crowded areas. You may need to transplant and fill some bare spots. Plants like hostas and daylilies are easy to dig up and transplant. We recommend leaving at least 3 stems per clump.
- Make sure you remove leaves and other dead plant material from your flower beds. Then, add some good fertilizer to your existing plants. When those spring rains come, it will soak right in.
- Now is the time to trim overgrown pines/evergreens and other trees back to where you want the growth to be.
- Grass in our area usually starts growing in April. But now is a good time to prepare your yard if any seeding needs to take place. Plows may have wrecked an area of your yard, or you may have some thin areas from disease or other reasons. Prep these area by raking the area and laying down some compost. All you need is ½” of compost to help maintain moisture for the new seed. New seed can be laid in just a few short weeks!
- This is also a great time to spread your first round of lawn fertilizer. Preventing crabgrass and having a beautiful green lawn all summer long starts now.
- Now is a great time to powerwash your driveways, sidewalks/walkways and any area of your house that needs it. It’s amazing how fresh and new these areas look with a good cleaning.
Take the time now to do these things and your house will be ready to go when spring truly hits. It you need help with any of these, please give Riddle Services a call and we have a crew that can swing in and take care of this in no time at all!
Call Riddle Services at 419-304-9343.